General Tso's Chicken


I think I am a dreamer and psst don't get scared but I have more conversations with imaginary people than with real ones. When I say imaginary I mean they are my favourite characters -I binge watch US TV shows, or read mostly American and some English authors. Do I sound crazy?? Did I get your attention??

Growing up on American shows, I would be fascinated by the protagonist order Chinese takeout. I absolutely loved to see them eat right out of the carton. Have wanted to do that always.  Unfortunately, most of the takeouts here in India send out their stuff in aluminium foil packs or even microwaveable reusable containers. One such Chinese takeout dish that always pops up is the General Tao's Chicken. But I have never really seen this in some of the finest Chinese restaurants in India. So, I had to take matters in my hand, dive deep into its history and make some versions, before I was completely satisfied.

This delightful Chinese recipe popular in the USA is a crispy chicken prepared in a sticky sauce. Sometimes orange juice is used too, but I love this version better.

You gotta, gotta try this, and then curse yourself for not having this before. 

For the chicken marinade

500 gm boneless chicken, preferably thigh pieces cut into small pieces
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp chilli paste
1 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp light soy
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp each of ginger and garlic, crushed
1 tbsp sugar
Salt, to taste
Cornflour 1 tbsp + to coat the chicken

Mix all of the above and marinade the chicken for atleast half an hour. Note the Hoisin and Soya sauce already has some salt.

For the sauce

1 tbsp ginger, crushed
1 tbsp garlic, crushed
1 tbsp chilli flakes
1/2 cup chicken stock

Oil for cooking, I didn't get the chicken to a crisp, but this recipe demands crispy chicken. In that case you might need more than a cup of oil.

Sesame seeds and green onions, to garnish

Method:

Once the chicken is marinated, remove the pieces and dust with corn flour, coat well.

There will be some sauce that will remain after the chicken is removed. Mix a tbsp of cornflour and the chicken stock to the sauce. 

Fry the chicken pieces till well cooked. If you prefer crispy then use more cornflour. And add only a few pieces at a time. Once all the pieces are fried, set them aside.

Change the oil, and then fry the ginger and garlic. 

Add the chilli flakes.

Add the sauce mix, cook till it thickens, check for salt. 

Add the chicken and let it coat, remove immediately so that the chicken is crisp.

Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.




Comments