Lemon Curd


I remember the first time I had a really nice Lemon Tart was during my college days. I was a student and was drawn to this summery looking dessert peeping at me from the display of a pastry shop. I don't even remember the name of that shop anymore, I just remember it was in South Extension, Delhi. I was a student on budget and was split between going for my favourite chocolate or this strange lemon tart. I am glad I tried it out. Lemon flavoured desserts are some of my favourites now.

I have been craving a good zesty lemon tart since so long. And I have been equally disappointed with all the ones I have tasted recently. 

So I scoured the net and adapted a recipe and this tasted exactly like I dreamt it would.

Ingredients:

5 egg yolk
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup, lemon zest
1/3 cup, lemon juice
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
A dash of turmeric, optional (for colour)


Cut the butter into table spoon size pieces and put them back in the refrigerator.

In a double boiler, mix all the other ingredients and keep whisking. The sugar will start to melt and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Add turmeric if using.


Continue whisking like this for about 8 minutes. The curd will thicken slightly.

Turn off the heat and add the butter, one bit at a time, whisking till it mixes and the consistency is smooth. Repeat this till you are done with the butter. 


Now transfer into a glass bowl or jar and let it cool. Chill in the refrigerator for atleast two hours before using.


Now use them in tart, cakes, toast or any other dishes or dessert of your choice. Well I had mine in a Lemon Cake.




Comments