Thai Yellow Curry


I got my first dose of COVID vaccine today. And needless to say I not only wanted something comforting to eat before I left for the same, I also wanted to make it in a bigger batch so that I can have this again for dinner. Another reason I made a bigger batch is because I wasn't sure if I would be adversely affected by the vaccine, in which case I didn't want to order in today at all.

What's more comforting than a mellow Thai Curry. Although I made mine with Chicken and Mushroom one can easily substitute this with a mix of vegetables- carrot, brocolli, beans, mushroom, leafy greens, potatoes- and tofu to make it plant based.

Bonus: I also made my Yellow Curry Paste from scratch.

Method:

400 gms boneless chicken pieces, cubed or veggies 
150 gms mushroom, cleaned and halved
Salt, to taste
Brown sugar, half tsp
1.5 cups coconut milk 
1.5 tbsp oil 

To make the curry paste:

2 medium to big onions
15-18 garlic pods, medium sized
2 thai red chilli
2 inch piece of ginger
1.5 tbsp fresh lemongrass
6-7 Kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp fresh peppercorns
1 tbsp fish sauce, optional 
A small buch of coriander leaves, cleaned 
A few sprigs of basil leaves
 
Blend all of the spices into a smooth mix. This mix freezes well and is enough to make twice the amount (800 gms of chicken/vegetable). So I used half and kept the rest in my freezer in a glass bottle. You can defrost and use this within 30-40 days.

Preparing the curry:

Heat oil in a deep pan. Add the curry paste. Fry the paste for 2-3 mins till you get the aroma of the spices, then add the chicken. Reduce to medium flame.

Add salt and sugar, cook the chicken to almost 85% done. The curry paste will start sticking to the bottom of the pan.

Add the mushroom. Fry for 2-3 mins, a little water will release from the mushroom.

Now add the coconut milk. Increase the flame and let it come to a bubble. Now again reduce the flame and let it simmer for about 5 mins. Check the taste for spices. 
 
Serve hot with steamed rice. 











Comments