Kung Pao Veggies


I really wasn't expecting to post a recipe for this dish. But I put up a few pictures of this dish cooking in my instagram stories, and received quite a few requests for the recipe. So, I decided to pen this down. On a side note, I did start this blog to of course document my recipes too. So this definitely helps.

Kung Pao has long been one of my favourite Chinese takeaway or dine-in option. No points for guessing that it's coz of the addition of peanuts that I typically enjoy this dish. And, everyone who knows me will vouch for my love for non-vegetarian fare, but off late I have taken to eating a lot of veggies too. I try and strike a balance now, while also reducing my carbon footprint by choosing more sustainable options.

Ingredients:

Choice of veggies ( Brocolli, Carrot, Beans, Mushroom, Bok Choy etc.)- about 2.5 cups 
Roasted Peanuts- 1/2 cup ( I love them, but you can reduce)
Tofu/ Cottage cheese- 1/2 cup, cubed (optional)
Ginger, crushed- 1 tsp
Garlic, crushed
Sauce- check below
4-5 dry red chilli
7-8 schezuan pepper
Salt, to taste

For the sauce:

Chili Sauce - 1tbsp
Tomato Sauce- 1 tbsp
Soya Sauce- 1 tbsp
Vinegar- 1 tbsp
Sugar- 1 tbsp 
Corn flour- 1 tbsp
Veg stock- 1 cube or 250 ml
Sesame/ til oil- 1 tbsp + more for frying


Method:

Firstly cut and cube the veggies. If you are using vegetables like brocolli, carrot etc then you will have to steam them. These vegetables take longer to cook. Steaming, rather than boiling will retain their nutrient content.

Soak the dry red chillies in hot water for about half an hour till it is soft, and then make a paste. You can add more chilli if you prefer spicy.

Make the sauce by mixing the chilli sauce, tomato sauce, soya sauce, vinegar, sugar, sesame/til oil, cornflour, vegetable stock. You can add a little water.

Roast peanuts and lightly crush to halve them.

Heat oil, then add crushed garlic and ginger, add the peanut. Add schezuan pepper. Now add the red chilli paste.  Add  your choice of veggies (both steamed and fresh). Add tofu or cottage cheese, if using.

After that add the sauce mix, and stir well. If needed add some salt to taste, most of the sauces and stock have salt added already.

Add a little water if the sauce is too thick. Taste once to check the seasoning. Enjoy !!


Comments